Upper County Outdoor Recreation Opportunities
By: Clint Dun, Outdoor Editor, MyAroundTown.com
YAY, spring is coming at last!
Making it a little more desirable and easier for most of us to get outside to do what brings us pleasure.
Today, I was enjoying the beautiful warm weather, and drifted off into thinking about the many ways I could enjoy myself this summer. I decided that often people don’t get out and exercise as they should, because they may not know what options are available in the area. So, I thought I would offer up some ideas that sounded good to me; the following is a list of outdoor activities.
- Backpacking – For information for our area go to http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/wenatchee/cle-elum-wilderness/permits.html
- Bicycling (Road or Mountain) – For information about the best trails or options for where to go, whether you want to mountain bike or road ride, you can call Michael Kidder at Cle Elum Bike and Board 509-674-4567
- Bird watching – I honestly do not have the slightest clue where you would go, but if there are any birdwatchers out there, please leave a message here with information regarding this interesting activity.
- Camping – Contact the Forest Service for a list of public camping locations http://www.fs.fed.us/recreation/map/state_list.shtml#Washington , the Internet is probably the best place to look for private camping options.
- Disc Golf – The disc golf course can be found behind the Cle Elum Roslyn High School Track
- Fishing/ Hunting – For more information contact Farm and Home 509-674-7104
- Golf – There are two options locally: Sun Country http://www.golfsuncountry.com and Suncadia http://www.suncadiaresort.com vacation-golf-resorts.php
- Hiking – For more information go to http://www.hiker.org/cle_elum/index.htm
- Horseback Riding – For more information http://www.equinenow.com/riding/south+cle+elum-washington.htm
- River Rafting – For more information http://www.rillsonline.com/riverrafting.html
- Rock Climbing – For more information about Sport Routes at Lake Cle Elum, or Salmon La Sac contact Clint Dunn at 509-607-0142, for locations an hour, or more by car go to http://www.climbingwashington.com/features/rcwindex.htm
- Swimming – There are several locations that are good for swimming if, like my wife, you are immune to the cold water. Her personal favorite is on the Teanaway where it meets the Yakima. There is also Cle Elum Lake and others that fairly close to us here in Kittitas County.
I will leave you with a quote from John Muir, U.S. (Scottish-born) conservationist & naturalist (1838 – 1914).
“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature’s peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of autumn.” John Muir
Let me know if there are things you end up doing that are not listed here so we can share them with other readers. See you next time!