100 W 1st St ~ Cle Elum, WA ~ 8
: 0 0 A M – 6 : 0 0 P M ~ 509.674.7104
At Cle Elum Farm & Home and Cle Elum Hardware
Show Us Your List!
“February – If the weather outside is looking frightfull today… it would be a good day to work on that “DIY LIST” and think spring. Don’t forget Farm & Home is winter sports gear & equipment headquarters for Upper Kittitas County.
Get it down on paper and come on in to Cle Elum Farm and Home or Cle Elum Hardware. With a 10 minute drive (or less) into Cle Elum you can find all the supplies, tools, and equipment you need. You can even find some pretty good advise on the best tool, product or method to help you check off an item or two on that list.
No passes to go over, no trucks to dodge, no construction to drive though; Cle Elum Farm and Home is a full service store within a quick and easy drive. Everything you need to complete those home fall chores are right here – saving you time and hassle.
Ideas for winterizing your home and farm:
- Inspect and clean gutters and downspouts.
- Seal gaps and cracks around windows and doors with weather-stripping and caulk.
- Inspect your roof for damaged or curled shingles, corroded flashing, or leaky vents.
- Take steps to repair damaged sidewalks, driveways, and steps.
- Drain and winterize outdoor faucets and irrigation systems.
- Clean or replace dirty furnace filters.
- Have a professional inspect your heating system.
- Check fireplaces for soot or creosote build-up. Better yet, schedule a visit from a reputable chimney sweep.
- If you have a gas-fired room heater, have it inspected by a pro. Also, perform any routine maintenance recommended by the maker.
- Wood stoves are making a comeback. To avoid a deadly situation, be sure to inspect yours before firing it up.
- A home safety check should be an annual ritual in every household. Test smoke and CO monitors, inspect (or install) fire extinguishers, review fire escape plans, and rid your home of old newspapers and other fire hazards.
Nutrena Animal Feeds – Balanced Nutrition
We focus on providing precisely balanced, consistent nutrients in every bag to bring out the best in your animal, at any age or activity level.
Emphasis on Nutrients Over Ingredients. Nutrena understands that nutrient content of ingredients varies widely based on seed type, climate, soil, and processing methods. We formulate our feeds accordingly to assure that every bag of Nutrena® horse feed delivers optimal nutritional value.
Verified Nutrition Analysis. We’re able to select the most appropriate ingredients because we maintain current nutrient values for over 180 different ingredients from over 1100 suppliers. Our data bank allows us to verify that the ingredient composition of our feeds meets specific, consistent nutrient levels.
Proper Nutrition for Optimum Performance. Meeting minimum nutrient needs may result in horses achieving only minimum performance standards. By the same token, excessive quantities of a nutrient may have a negative effect on performance. Nutrena takes into consideration all these variables when formulating a horse feed.
Did you know there really is snipe hunting and that you can hunt crow from September 1 to December 31? The hunting season for the more usual game is here and Cle Elum Farm and Home has not only the licenses but all the gear you need. For a list of “must haves” click here
- Hunting license, tags or paperwork
- Hunting rifle, bow or other firearm
- Ammo or additional shooting supplies
- Protective firearm case
- Firearm cleaning supplies
- Shooting bipod or monopod
- Binoculars or spotting scope
- Hunting knife
- Bone saw
- Field dressing kit with bags
- Knife sharpener
- Compass or GPS
- Hunting Pack
- Water bottle or hydration bladder
- Blaze orange tape for route marking
- Decoys and game calls
- Scent eliminators
- Scent attractors
- Ground blind or portable tree stand
- Game carrier (sled/cart/or rope)
- Odorless insect repellent
- Hunting jacket or convertible parka
- Hunting pants
- Hunting vest
- Hunting boots
- Performance base layer or long underwear
- Moisture-wicking socks
- Winter watch cap or beanie
- Hat (blaze orange, if required)
- Fingerless gloves or convertible mittens
- Camo balaclava/face mask
- Boot gaiters
- Spare clothing
Emergency and Survival Gear
- First Aid Kit
- Emergency blanket
- Small flashlight
- Signal mirror
- Water purification tablets
- Windproof matches
- Firesteel/flint and steel
- Fire starting supplies
- Small sewing kit
- Safety pins
- Survival knife or multi-tool
- Portable saw
- Energy bar
- Aspirin/pain reliever
- Cell phone
Do It Yourself
We like the idea of “recycle and reuse” but ever wonder where the stuff goes that you throw in the bins? Some of it goes into very useful products that we can actually use over again. Metro Paint is one such product that consistently has good reviews and comes at a refreshing wallet friendly price. There is always a paint DIY project to get into — get into the paint department at Cle Elum Hardware and check out Metro Paint – (and tell your friends, we all like saving).
(Available at paint shop in Cle Elum Hardware — Not available at Cle Elum Farm & Home)
More than recycled, remade new
MetroPaint is screened for quality and reblended into desirable colors. MetroPaint goes through a strict color-matching process to ensure the colors are consistent from one gallon to the next.
Easy on the wallet gallon $s
Great quality comes with serious affordability. MetroPaint is less than half the cost per gallon compared to other paint brands.
Use indoor or out
MetroPaint is perfect for both indoor and outdoor use. It includes mold and fungus inhibitors and has a five-year limited warranty. It rolls, brushes and sprays on smoothly for thick, rich coverage – often achieved in just one coat.
Choosing MetroPaint supports an effort that has remade millions of gallons of latex paint, keeping these reusable resources out of landfills.
Using recycled paint:
- decreases a project’s carbon footprint
- reduces the need for landfill space
- conserves the water needed to make new paint
- prevents pollution from the mining and extraction of raw materials.
NOTE: (Available at paint shop in Cle Elum Hardware — Not available at Cle Elum Farm & Home)
August & September Lawn Tip
It’s best to stop fertilizing about 30 days before your area’s summer temperatures arrive. Applying extra fertilizer in the heat of summer can burn your lawn and create a flush of tender growth that will struggle in the hot summer weather. Never fertilize dormant lawns – wait until they green up in the fall.
“One Stop Shop” Headquarters for
Upper Kittitas County
Everything you need at Cle Elum Farm & Home
A beautiful yard begins with planting quality plants and to keep them looking their best they need to be fertilized.
Nutrients in the soil are easily depleted and need to be replenished on a regular basis.
Using a good quality organic fertilizer is the best way to nourish the soil, enhance the plant, and keep your yard, and the planet, safe for man and beast.
Ecotracorganics’ Garden Grande 100% Organic Natural All Purpose and All Season Fertilizer is the natural choice. It works for ornamental plants, crops, fruit trees, and lawns. Simple and organic, a great combination.
Ecotracorganics Garden Grande is not only certified organic and vegan; petroleum and chemical free; and slow release it also help soil retain nutrients and moisture, improves soil pH, and allows plants increased absorption of micronutrients making them healthier, more beautiful and producing higher crop yields.
Ecotracorganics will not only produce a more beautiful yard, lush lawn, and abundant crops, it is produced from reclaimed plant and plant processing by-products in a recycle process that you can feel good about.
Wow!! First week of Spring 2017
On your mark, get ready, set, SPRING! Who’s not ready for a beautiful pot of pansies and violas by their front door?
By Susan Colts;
“Pansies are delightfully cheery and come in a nice range of colors and patterns from sweet pinks to hot yellows. They are simple to grow and need nothing special to make them spectacular.
Here are a few pointers to have them looking wonderful all spring and into summer.
- Planting in a pot is the practical thing to do this time of year and gives you some flexibility as the weather heats up. When days start to tip in the 70 degree range you can move the pot into afternoon shade and prolong the blooming time.
- Check that pot. If it is cracked from the cold winter temperatures it may be time for a new one.
- For sure it may be time to renew the old potting soil you have in the pot. Potting soil can become depleted in nutrients as it ages. Use your existing potting soil and refresh it by mixing in a new bag of potting soil along with a bit of fertilizer.
- Not too much fertilizer – you can add more later as needed. Adding some vermiculite can keep the soil from compacting. It can easily be mixed together quickly using a shovel by dumping it all in a wheelbarrow.
- Lots of things can be used for drainage bedsides rocks or gravel. Both which tend to be heavy. Use the 4 or 6 pack container the potting plants came in or aluminum cans. Both are light weight and provide excellent drainage.
- Once your flowers are happily blooming, be sure to remove the spent flowers to keep the plant from producing seeds which signal that it is time to stop producing flowers. Pinching the dead flowers off keeps keeps the plants from getting spindly as well. As the pansies mature you can pinch off the tops to keep them full and lush.
Pansies do not like to go dry so be sure to give adequate water and with good drainage there is usually no fear of over watering unless they sit in a saucer of water as well. Be aware that on windy days pots may require more water than normal.
Cle Elum Farm and Home can suppy all your home needs to have it look it’s spring time best.
For Valentine’s Day give your Honey just what they are looking for.
Cle Elum Farm & Home – One stop shop for almost everything
- Sporting Goods
- Tools and equipment
- Clothing and boots
- Gift certificates
- For the Garden Annex when it opens
- For a valentine DIY project you will complete
Groundhog Day is February 2
Will he or won’t he see his shadow? Whether the groundhog sees his shadow or not, there is lots of winter left. Cle Elum Farm and Home has everything you need to restock your winter supplies.
And spring is coming. Meanwhile a bit of mental diversion: Groundhog_Day
Spring is Coming “Let the RESOLUTIONS begin!”
Farm & Home is the
“One Stop Shop” Headquarters for Upper Kittitas County
- 6 Ways to Humidify Your House (Without a Humidifier)
- Winterize Your Home and Garden
- 5 Ways to Brighten Your Home During a Dreary Winter
- 7 Ways to Whip the Winter Blues
- 5 Ways to Survive Your Snow Day
- Snoboss Snow Shovel (Cle Elum Farm & Home carries Ace Snow Shovels)
- Tips for Cold-Weather Travel (With Kids!)
- 11 Things You Need to Keep in Your Car During the Winter
- 12 Things to Know Before You Start Your Snow Blower
- How to Make Your Own Windshield De-Icer
- 10 Post-Holiday Winter Decorating Ideas
From all of us at Cle Elum Farm and Home
Cle Elum Farm and Home
Cle Elum Hardware
“One Stop Shop” Headquarters for Upper Kittitas County
Gardening from spring to fall in Upper Kittitas County
Eating home grown tomatoes and vegetables is just around the corner.
Cle Elum Farm and Home is the place to get your tomato starts … and every other garden start you are looking for – from veggies to flowers to landscape plants… they are all here.
“Tomatoes are native to Central and South America and although they grow well here with our warm daytime temperatures, they have very specific needs for fruit production.
The ideal nighttime temperature range is between 59 to 68 degrees and when temperatures fall below this range, problems with growth, flowering and fruit production occur. So protecting your tomato plants from our cool night time temperatures will give you the crop you are craving.
Drop by the Cle Elum Farm and Home Garden Center and ask for Jill or Kathy (all the staff is super friendly and eager to help); they can direct you to a number of ways to protect your tomatoes from our evening chill.”
May – It’s almost time for our new ROSES to arrive.
Watch our Garden Store, website, Facebook and e-Mails for arrival of this years supply of this beautiful and prized garden addition.
Call us to check on anything gardening: (509) 674-7104
TIP: We typically receive only one shipment per season.When new Roses arrive they don’t stay in the Garden Center very long. Don’t be disappointed … pick out your plants early.
April- 3 Good Reasons to Spring Fertilize Your Lawn from Cle Elum Farm and Home.
It’s really easy to ignore fertilizing your lawn here in our rural UKC community. Who cares? After all this isn’t Bellevue.
There are 3 very good reasons
- Your properly fertilized lawn will have a healthy root system, which will do a better job of holding soil in place than the root systems of non-fertilized lawns. An unfertilized lawn loses its density and exposes soil, which leads to erosion and loss of nutrients.
- Healthy lawns are able to resist weed growth. This is after all farm country and weeds are an issue. They not only look bad they infect neighboring lawns and neighboring farm fields which diminish the quality of the product. That’s why Kittitas County maintains a Noxious Weed Board.
- A well fertilized lawn is able to sustain itself and recover from stressful periods. Our region goes through periods of no rainfall making watering necessary which, in this era of scarce water, is either costly or seems wasteful. The Combination of high temperatures, winds, and low rainfall create the need for a well nourished lawn.
Stop in at our Garden Store and ask Kelly for her recommendations on a Spring Fertilizer Program for your lawn and garden, it’s the perfect time.